Sunday, October 01, 2006

More Eye Candy

Yesterday's images were bright and garish. Today's images are of a more pastel hue.



800 X 600 Wallpaper
1024 X 768 Wallpaper
1280 X 960 Wallpaper

There are lots of things to think about when trying to shoot a nice photo. There are things like composition, lighting, background, foreground objects, framing, and a bunch of other things that can come together and make a good image, or clash and destroy everything.

I couldn't resist the calm mirror-like surface of the water, the pastel shades on the other side of the lake, and the contrasting colors of the canoe, bucket, and toy.

I started by backing off and widening out the zoom lens (I love zoom lenses). The image is OK, but not quite there, as far as I'm concerned. The oak tree frames it nicely on the right, but throws off the balance a bit. I actually like the way the slight haze in the sky softens the blue and makes it work better with the pastel shades of the trees.

So, I guess it's a keeper.



800 X 600 Wallpaper
1024 X 768 Wallpaper
1280 X 960 Wallpaper

I like this one, but it gave me some grief when it came to making wallpaper.

I have always liked to crop tightly inside the camera in order to make good use of the film area that I have to work with. In most cases, this isn't a problem. With this picture, though, there was literally no room to crop off either end. None at all. Cropping either end would crowd the objects (canoe and dock) too close to the end. The picture was already composed perfectly as taken.

The trouble is, as I mentioned yesterday, that a 35mm frame has a 3:2 aspect ratio, while a TV or monitor has a 4:3 aspect ratio. If you fit the entire image on the screen, there will be a gap at the top and/or bottom.

So what to do?

Actually, it turned out to be not all that tough -- though it did involve a little cheating (I mean photo editing). I copied the image and pasted it into a bigger frame. I put the picture on the bottom, then used the cloning tool to add more sky on top. Since the color is uniform, it came out fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home