Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Useless Posie Picture Tour

I suppose I should ration these pictures out to two or three a day. Then, I can get lazy and not have to dig up more.

Anyhow, since I just got three rolls of film back, and copied some of the better ones to my blog directory, I might as well send the posies.

By the way, one was taken with the digital camera. I'll let you guess.

Every time I get some good shots with the digi cam, I'm surprised with how good they turn out. The camera is generally less than wonderful with exposure, it doesn't zoom, it doesn't focus, and it doesn't do close-ups at all. Still, within its limited range, it does OK.

Of course, whenever I get a roll of genuine 35mm film back, I am really pleased with the richness of the color and the clarity. I really need to get a high-quality digital SLR so that I can have the best of both worlds. I don't know if any digital camera will faithfully record the range of dark and light that a good color print film will, but I'm willing to give it a shot!



I'll start with a rather ordinary and weedy-looking picture. This stuff is boneset, a wild medicinal herb that is supposed to help heal broken bones.





The next two are of a pretty invasive weed. They are all over the hay fields and meadows here, but not particularly invasive. I understand that they are well-hated in other places, though. They are supposed to make good honey. I'll find out when we get around to keeping bees.

You might notice that they have a 'soft focus' effect. They make a special filter that does that. People use it for portraits and other pictures where a 'dreamy' effect is wanted.

Of course, I got it for free from the close-up diopters that I use. If I try to really get close, they combination of the +4 diopter and the vintage 135mm lens set to close focus really doesn't work as well as I had hoped. I think I need to get a genuine macro lens with some close-up extension tubes.





These may apple 'umbrella' plants are a common sight in most temperate deciduous forests. They like low, rich soil. Alas, they don't seem to like our new home. I guess we have to take the bad with the good. Poison Ivy doesn't like our place, either. If there's one plant that I despise, it's poison ivy.

By the way, there is plenty of poison ivy in other parts of the state. There is even some on the Pine River. I guess we just lucked out.



May Apples are perennial herbs. That is, they have a perennial root, and get new top parts every year. The single umbrellas just feed the roots, while the double umbrellas are the fruiting plants. Each double plant produces a rather exotic-scented (though plain-looking) waxy white flower. That flower grows into a small lemon-yellow fruit that's about the size, shape, and color of a small lemon. It tastes somewhat like grapes when raw, but has an exotic tropical flavor when cooked. I really want to find some locally so that I can harvest them.



Here is a close-up of the flower.



These pretty little things grow in the north-east corner of our front yard. I might transplant some later -- when I get time to do purely ornamental plantings.



I really considered this image to be a waste, but Mary thinks that it would make a good card. I suppose a sufficiently sappy message of inspiration would look good on this picture.



A fuzzy yellow flower. Yippee. It looks like a small dandelion. They grow with hawkweed, so maybe it's a yellow hawkweed.



This one actually came out quite nicely. I don't know what it is, but it's kind of blue-purple, and it kind of looks like a snapdragon. I took the picture because there is a bee taking advantage of the nectar.



Don't get stung! (drat the soft-focus effect... I mean, I did that soft-focus effect on purpose. Really. I wouldn't kid you. much...)



I thought these were Indian Pipes (an actual flowering plant that's lost its ability to produce chlorophyll), but my mother identified them as dwarf pipes.



Ah, yes... the good 'ol Jack in the Pulpit. It's almost the same picture as the old one that I took twenty years ago, but modern films do a better job.

Thank you for indulging me and taking the 'pretty posie' tour. I'll come up with something interesting to write later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home