Friday, June 30, 2006

I'm Baaaaack!

It has been way too long since I have updated my blog. A lot has happened -- some good, some bad.

I managed to get the root canal done on that bad tooth. I had to drive up to Traverse City to get it done, and had to pay up-front (very difficult currently), but it's sealed and ready for the dentist to build up with composite and crown. I might go with just the composite for a while, since there are so many more urgent things that need to be done.

I finally figured out what was wrong with my film scanner. It turns out that the SCSI board wasn't seated properly (duh!). I still haven't scanned many things in, but it was good to have it going and give it a test.

With all the hubbub about digital cameras, it's interesting to note how much film has improved since I was shooting 35mm photos back in the early 80s. 400 ASA film was about the fastest you could get for color, and it was grainy. Now, it's common to shoot 400 and you don't notice any grain until you blow the picture way up beyond the standard 4X6 snapshot size.

As it turns out, some of my old negatives are getting spotty. It looks like something grew on the one that I scanned in. It's a shame, but it won't hurt me to re-shoot some of the nature and macro shots, anyhow. Check this out:



This isn't even blown up, and you can see the grain. I might load a bigger version of it later for kicks. It looks like some of the modern $300.00 range digitals will blow away my old SLRs with the old film. The modern stuff, on the other hand, does a great job. Once it's scanned in, I get a huge image, and can do all kinds of photoshop things with it.

Here's a more modern image that was scanned in by Wal-Mart. I have started using that service because it saves lots of time.



One of the reasons I have been keeping my image size small is because I have been putting them on my web site, and I'm running out of room. I found a solution, though. I decided to get an account with photobucket.com. When I use up the free 1 gig of space, I'll get the premium account.

So, expect bigger pictures in the future. Expect more pictures, too.

Meanwhile, I have started a new project. I'm putting all the pictures I have loaded on my computer together and building an album around them. I'm using that program I wrote to make HTML files for each directory (each of which contains one roll [real or download] of film). I need to modify that program so that it'll allow me to caption the pictures, and I need to write another that will list out the names of the rolls and allow the user to choose one. Once I get enough images to fill a CD, I'll burn some off for family and friends. I may make a second album of more general interest pictures (as opposed to family shots) if there is any demand for it.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants a desktop image of any of my photos, let me know. I can make some into desktop images, but some of the ones taken by the cheaper digital cameras simply won't work out.

Also, I'm willing to take requests for subject matter. If you want me to write about a certain subject, and if I know enough about it to not come off as a total idiot, I'll give it a shot. I'm going to avoid the more controversial subjects for now, though.

So, let's make this a two-way street. It's hard to motivate yourself if you don't know how you're being received.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well goodness, glad to see that you have updated.
Keep writing about family life in the country, just as you have been doing.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

I like looking at pictures of kids and animals. I'd like to have seen some pictures of you trimming the goat's hooves, too - I bet that would have made a hilarious photo. Better get teaching the boys how to take pictures.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home