Sunday, April 16, 2006

Long day

I hope you all had a great Easter! Ours was nice and quiet -- no road trips. We did get up early, though.

The good folks at our church served breakfast this morning. I had to be careful not to stuff myself too much to sing.

I didn't know it, but the church owns a small collection of choir robes. I haven't worn one of those in quite a few years. But, we donned them and went up to the front to practice. I felt like a poser because I had missed so many practices (Mary works nights, so I can't make any practice that happens on one of her work nights). There was one song that I hadn't even seen. I managed to pick up some of it by listening and sight-reading. I had to stay quiet on the parts I couldn't get, though.

I had actually debated about whether I should continue with the choir, or just bow out. I think I'll be sticking with it, though. All I have to do is learn some of their basic repertoire, and it'll go better. One song, Lord I Lift Your Name On High, felt really good. I already knew the song, so I wasn't at all timid about hitting it full volume. All the old habits of dropping the diaphragm, popping out the gut, and letting the stomach muscles do all the work came back. When you can pay attention to the singing, instead of just worrying about hitting the right note, things work out a lot better.

By the way, I'm convinced that choir robes were invented as a way to hide the bellies of all these singers who are sticking it out for a good tank full of air.

The rest of the day was just spent around the house. Mary cooked today. We had ham, sweet potatoes, salad, and mashed potatoes for dinner. We also had some cheese cake made with goat cheese. Don complained about the goat cheese, so I told him that he's right. It's nasty stuff, so his mom and I will just have to eat it all. He had his share. (hee hee)

I just found out that my Great Aunt Irene spent Easter with God. She had been in hospice care for a while, and passed away on Good Friday. She was well into her eighties, and had lived a good life. She will be missed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am sorry about your Aunt, for you not her.
life can be Hard and Jesus has prepared our home for us.
having come so close this week to being with him myself, i am no longer scared.
only for my family, can't imagine life without them.
i can not sing.
i can not hold a note in a bucket.
so, Praise Him for me too.
Emily says she likes the goats because the escape like her.
L.
P>S> sarah says Yes Please to horses.
L.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Nerd in the Country said...

Our choir sings a lot of the stuff that you hear on Christian radio, and also some of the music straight from the hymnal. I really prefer nice, tight harmony. I especially like acapella (no accompaniment), but I don't think the rest of the choir is interested.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home