Saturday, April 08, 2006

Critter update

We succeeded in affixing the saddle to the horse. She didn't mind a bit. We used the lunge line to walk her around the front pasture so she could nibble on the little bit of greenery that is there so far. She didn't react at all to the any of the kids on her back (one at a time, of course). All in all, things went well.

Sarah wasn't at all fond of the bit. We got her to take it, but removed it after just a minute or so because I'm sure that it wasn't attached correctly. That Storey Guide horse book didn't mention anything about saddles or bridles or any of that riding stuff. I guess we're going to have to shop for another book. Meanwhile, I'm going to go over the chapter about behavior and handling.

In other news, the little buckling keeps getting into the chicken area, munching on laying mash (I presume), and escaping. I had thwated him for a while, but he managed to push that piece of aluminum trailer skirting out of the way. I have it in place more securely now. We'll see what happens. Sneaky goats!

I found a bunch of duck eggs the other day. The first clue that they are duck eggs is the fact that they are laid out in the dirt, and are filthy. I swear that ducks look for a good mud puddle to lay their eggs in. I have yet to see a clean duck egg, except, of course, the ones that I have washed.

To go along with the dirty duck eggs, we have a dirty silkie hen. That girl was born to brood. She'll lay a few eggs, then go find a quiet corner to sit on them. Actually, since I always collect all the eggs, she sits on someone else's eggs. She finds a pile and parks herself there.

This time, she parked herself right next to that old trailer door that the chickens have been roosting on. That'w why she is spackeled with chicken poop.

So, I took a square bucket to the broody bouse, put some hay in it for bedding, added six duck eggs, and plopped the hen on top (carefully, so I wouldn't get poop on my hands). She settled right down, and I assume she is sitting there right now. I'll go check on her later.

Now, I have to go look up how long it takes duck eggs to hatch. I should do that, anyhow -- it's kind of optional, since I'm not contributing anything to the hatching process. It'll be nice to know when to expect six more dirty ducks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have to put some food and water in the broody house for the expectant mother.

We have had some other hens think about going broody, but none have stuck with it. When they do, we'll give them a few eggs and set them in the broody house. Mary has declared a moratorium on hatching more guineas, so I won't be sticking any more guinea eggs under a broody hen. I'm sure that at least one of the guinea girls will succeed in hiding a nest and hatching a batch of keets, though. More um... ambiance for the harn. hee hee

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonder if we can do international trading on ducks and chickens...
L

3:16 AM  
Blogger Nerd in the Country said...

It would have been difficult last year. With the H5N1 flu scare, I expect it to be all but impossible now.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home