Sunday, April 02, 2006

This is the day that the Lord has made.

After too many years of not really wanting to go to church, I am finally in the part of my life where I look forward to it. I think it has to do with our new church home as much as anything else. We drive down to the little town of LeRoy, Michigan every week to attend, even though there are two churches within walking distance right here in Bristol.

By the way, I don't know if you can really call Bristol a town. There are two churches, a store, and the town hall/township hall within about half a mile of each other. I think the smallest parcel of land belongs to the town hall. There are a couple more that are maybe an acre, and everyone else has ten acres or more. Most have a lot more.

But anyhow, we got to church late. We blame daylight savings time, of course. We got there in time for the message, though. It was all about Joy (not happiness, which tends to be temporary). One of the greatest things about being a Christian is knowing that any trial that you face is nothing but a temporary growth experience.

After the service, we had lunch with the choir and served up a birthday cake for Gabe. He turns five today. Hey, it's not just anyone that gets "Happy Birthday" sung to them by the choir.

I have been out of the singing business for more than a decade. That doesn't mean that I never sing to the kids, or just sing with some of my favorite CDs. I haven't actually done the practice thing where you have to deal with the stop-and-go singing while the director tries to get everyone correct note. We're under the gun, too. There are only two more practices, and we are having trouble with this stuff. I'm going to have to plink the notes out on one of the kids' musical toys just to make sure that I get it right.

But it's about time I got back into it. My entire family of origin is musical, so I'm really turning my back on some of my heritage if I don't come back to the music. This seems to be the part of my life where I need to be going back.

Mary picked me up late, so I had time to play with the piano a bit and learn some of the music. I had been getting some of the notes wrong.

After that, it was time to roll on home. We decided to take a run through the National Forest instead of going straight home. That was easy enough -- we just went half a mile past the road that we live on, took a right, and was in the national forest after half a mile of dirt road.

We really should have taken the big Jeep for this one. There was still snow on some of the road, and plenty of mud at the edges where the snow is melting.

After the long winter, it was wonderful to see everything coming back to life. There were vernal ponds in a lot of the low-lying places. That isn't surprising, considering the fact that we have been hearing the spring peepers (frogs) at night for the past few days. They must have a fast life cycle, considering that they have to mate and lay eggs in time for the polliwogs to grow up and turn into frogs.

We spotted a number of low, marshy areas that may have cranberries later. Also, it looks like there are some blueberry patches for us to visit this summer.

Now, I'm goofing around on the computer. I figured out how to move some photos to my web space so that I can link to them from the blog. That means that I won't have to worry about going over any limit that blogspot may place on my freebie account. I still haven't figured out how all of this stuff works, anyhow.

I have lots of work to do, like adding links, maybe separating my drivel into several blogs, editing the template, and making a custom header. All in good time... Getting the ability to put the pictures on my own space is enough for today. Later, I'll write a program that will format my HTML for me and publish it. Maybe.

So, in honor of the fact that I'm now storing the images on my own site, I'm going to provide two gratuitous photos of the day.

Fluffy stuff... I have no idea what it is.

Hyassins from a few years ago


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hyassins have a special memory for me, in my childhood my mum was a depressed alcoholic and i also now know adhd and posibly bipolar...
mad mix for a mum who medicated with alcohol....
well the story is she decided that even though we lived 13 floors above the ground and did not even have a window sill we were going to have bulbs like in Norway...
so, bulbs into fridge, my bed out onto footpath for a table near window, and mum and i had the joy and it was a real heart warming joy of watching these grow and be a happy place in our lives...
so, these are now on my desktop.
thanks ray..
love in Christ, L.

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just noticed the time it says i did the comment, wwll it really was at 7pm on friday...

4:11 AM  
Blogger Nerd in the Country said...

I'm glad the pictures brought back some good memories. It's amazing how God uses little things to comfort us when we go through our trials. For me, it was the way everything grew so well on the last full year that we were in the city, and the time I spent out on the porch with the kids doing little things like reading and sharing boiled eggs.

If you send me a private email (my email address is in my profile, if you don't have it handy), I can send you a better copy of the picture. If you tell me what resolution you are running (640X480, 800X600, 1024X768, or whatever), I can send you a picture that will fit your screen exactly.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous t said...

Never heard those called that before! Better name than hyacinths and easier to pronounce! Do you have any hi-geraniums? (hydrangeas)

12:30 AM  
Blogger Nerd in the Country said...

Thelma Thayer taught me to say it that way. ;-)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home